Basically maintenance strategies
Logistics equipment maintenance is an unloved child in most companies. Nevertheless, a failure of the automated storage systems threatens a company’s productivity and ability to deliver. In addition, growing competitive and cost pressures are making high plant availability a necessity across all industries. Increasingly complex technology and rising legal requirements are also decisive reasons for an optimized maintenance strategy. Three strategies. Usually, a distinction is made between two classic maintenance strategies: In addition to plant maintenance with their own personnel resources, many companies make use of the services of their plant manufacturer. As a cost-efficient third option, outsourcing the complete technical service to manufacturer-independent maintenance experts has become established and proven itself in recent years.
As one of the leading providers of vendor-neutral maintenance, TELOGS has had comprehensive know-how for projects of all sizes for more than ten years. We have summarized this specialized knowledge for you in this guide: We introduce you to the individual project phases of the so-called Complete Maintenance Service, highlight the opportunities and risks of outsourcing, point out important factors when selecting a service provider, and offer you the possibility of analyzing your existing maintenance solution quickly and easily with regard to weak points with our quick diagnosis. We wish you an informative read.
Managing Director of TELOGS
Maintenance More time and cost efficient
Complete Maintenance Service
Definition of terms
Complete Maintenance Service is the complete outsourcing of the maintenance of automated storage systems and equipment to a specialized service provider. The aim of this measure is system optimization for a noticeable increase in plant availability.
Five project phases
Regardless of the complexity and scale of a project, to ensure the successful outsourcing of maintenance, it is important to divide the project into five distinct phases. The most important contents and measures of these project phases are presented below.
Analysis of the actual situation
In the first phase of the project, the detailed recording of the customer-specific processes and
structures and their analysis by an external maintenance expert. Important processes,
the plant size and also operating and maintenance times are recorded and are an essential
basis so that maintenance by external service providers can later be successfully implemented
can. In addition, all mechanical and electromechanical systems as well as the
Information flows investigated and documented.
Building on the results obtained in this way, you define in collaboration with your
maintenance consultant the desired target condition of your existing plant. Your individual
Requirements are mapped here in new, optimized work processes: This includes the
Creation of a deployment plan including concrete personnel planning as well as a customer-specific
Spare parts management.
Concrete planning of measures
In coordination with the responsible persons in your company, a precise plan of action is defined.
This includes all measures with regard to inspection, maintenance, repair, UVV tests and
The new quality management system has also been implemented in detail.
Only in the fourth phase will your maintenance be taken over according to your individual concept.
Depending on the initial situation, the external partner will take over your existing workshop or set up a new
maintenance center on site at your logistics center. In some cases, the external
service provider your existing staff and supplements the personnel capacities with its own specialists.
Continuous improvement process
Ongoing process optimizations are just as much a matter of course for external partners as the
flexible adaptation of standardized processes to new requirements. Your employees
focus on the core business and support the maintenance experts with
permanent feedback. This is how a continuous improvement process can be successfully implemented in
put into action.
Opportunities The decisive advantages of the Complete
Maintenance Service are obvious:
In addition to noticeably increased system availability, companies benefit from simplified operating procedures, calculable, effort-dependent costs, and continuous improvement of their storage and work processes.
All advantages at a glance:
– Maximum plant availability
– Increase in delivery quality
– Significantly reduced risk of malfunctions
– Concentration on core competence
– Plannable costs and high cost transparency
– No dependence on own personnel resources
– Avoidance of high investments in technical equipment and personnel
– Continuous plant optimization by permanent staff on site
– Central contact for bearing, control and drive technology
– Flexible spare parts management and reduced inventory costs
– Reliable procurement of manufacturer-specific spare parts
– Continuous training of maintenance experts
– Profound knowledge of process and control technology
– Specialized know-how from maintenance experts
Maintenance projects are not self-perpetuating. In order to ensure maximum plant availability and the greatest possible cost transparency, it is much more important to have maintenance partners with practical experience. Particularly when it comes to in-depth analysis and, ultimately, risk implementation of maintenance strategies, less experienced service providers often reach their limits. The on-time delivery capability of your company is thus
Overview of typical project risks
– Incomplete analysis of the actual situation
– Insufficiently qualified personnel for specific task areas
– Lack of know-how of the service provider
– Poor implementation of maintenance
– Plant downtime and increased downtime
– Lack of or faulty spare parts management
– Insufficient liquidity of the service provider
– Outsourcing of know-how
Quick diagnosis Maintenance outsourcing
Analyze your current maintenance solution quickly and easily and identify weak points yourself. Answer the questions below. You will find an evaluation of this quick diagnosis in the following.
Evaluation of the quick diagnosis
Please count how many “No” answers you checked.
Up to three “no” answers:
The maintenance solution of your plant is up to date. Even if there is no acute need for action, you could achieve further optimization potential for your plant in the medium term by analyzing and optimizing the points presented.
Three to six “no” responses:
The maintenance and servicing of your automated storage system is patchy, and system availability is not comprehensively guaranteed. You should promptly talk to an expert about the topic of Complete Maintenance Service and address appropriate measures for optimization and improvement.
Seven or more “no” answers:
The availability of your plant is acutely endangered. To ensure your company’s ability to deliver, maintenance restructuring is urgently needed. Consult an expert for this task immediately; see this guide for a vendor selection checklist.
Practical tips for service provider selection
The project success of a Complete Maintenance Service stands and falls with the systematic selection of the contracted service provider. We have compiled decisive criteria for the adequate selection of the maintenance expert for you here.
Important selection criteria when outsourcing maintenance:
– Technical staff with practical experience
– Continuous training of the technical staff
– Successful comparative projects of the partner
– Comprehensive analytical and conceptual knowledge
– Appropriate cost-benefit ratio
– Sufficient personnel capacities
– Extensive knowledge in the areas of process and control technology
– 24/7 availability
– Suitable tools
– Secure supplier network for spare parts procurement
– Documentation and evaluation tools
Reference example Rhenus SE & Co KG
As an external maintenance expert, TELOGS implements numerous projects of all sizes and varying degrees of complexity. In this guide, we would like to present you with an example of a particularly complex maintenance project for our customer Rhenus SE & Co KG. In Gießen, the largest Rhenus site in Contract Logistics Germany, we have been responsible for the complete maintenance of the entire plant for 10 years now.
Here are the details: Rhenus SE & Co KG
Total area: 180,000 sqm
Covered storage area: 100,000 sqm
Total pallet spaces: 100,000
Project start with TELOGS: 2001
-pallet spaces: 57,000
-Year of construction: 1995
-order picking stacker cranes: 16
-Curved storage and retrieval machines: 14
-bearing manufacturer: Siemag Transplan
Pallet conveyor technology
– 3 goods receiving modules with suspension chain conveyors, turntables, roller conveyors, trolleys, high-speed gates and vertical conveyors
– 1 electric pallet floor track with 25 trolleys and 12 quadro switches
– 5 Shifting trolley
– 64 Shelf pre-zone modules
– 3 goods issue modules with vertical conveyors, infeed and outfeed conveyors, suspension chain conveyors, turntables, roller conveyors, lifting tables
– Plant manufacturer: Eisenmann
Container conveyor technology
– Length 200 m
– Equipment manufacturer: TGW
– Carton strapper
– Complete maintenance in shift operation
– Maintenance and UVV inspection
– Spare parts management
– TELOGS employees permanently on site
– Own TELOGS workshop
Project results for Rhenus SE & Co. KG
– Noticeable increase in plant availability
– High cost transparency and predictability of fixed costs
– The amount of care is flexibly adapted to d
TELOGS GmbH is a manufacturer-independent provider of
lntraloglstlksystems and supporting services.
TELOGS – Data. Facts. Numbers.
Since its foundation in 2000, TELOGS GmbH has developed into one of the leading maintenance experts in Germany and neighboring European countries. In addition to the two central locations in Giessen and Berlin, the company has several service locations throughout Germany that are permanently staffed with its own personnel. In the event of acute malfunctions, this ensures comprehensive technical service and an extremely
fast response time ensured.
Employees: 80, including 4 trainees
Core competence: Complete Maintenance Service Technical Service, RetroFit
RBG inspections and maintenance per year: > 400
Modernizations per year: 10
Key Account Manager
In the east park 25
Key Account Manager
In the east park 25